The Apollo Victoria is a glorious Grade II* listed building in the ‘moderne’ style. Originally built as the New Victoria Cinema, it was designed in 1929 by E Wamsley Lewis, and decoration with an underwater theme was designed by W E Trent. It was opened on 15 October 1930. The cinema was one of a number of “super” cinemas that were built in the 1930’s, the name super referring to the use of sound as well as reflecting the scale of this new type of building. It is now one of London’s largest musical theatres.
Foster Wilson Size have led a phased refurbishment of the building which has involved new bars in the entrance and circle foyers, renewal of all the auditorium seating and carpets to the original designs and new toilets and bars at stalls level. Historic decorations and paintwork have been restored, returning the theatre to its former art deco glory.