The Grade II listed Phoenix Theatre is one of the most important examples of the extraordinary ‘little boom’ that took place in theatre building in the West End between 1924 and 1937. An illustrious architectural team led by Cecil Masey, including Sir Gilbert Scott, Bertie Crewe and Theodore Komisarjevsky, designed the theatre. The theatre opened its doors in September 1930 with Noel Coward’s Private Lives to critical acclaim.
Foster Wilson Size, working with John Muir, was responsible for restoring the tired Sir Gilbert Scott Charing Cross Road facade and returning the main public face of the building to the original architectural intentions. The obliterating signage has been removed and replaced with a well-considered suite of signage. The canopy has been restored to Scott’s design with modern lighting to the canopy and facade, enhancing the appearance at night and creating a unified architectural approach.